6.28.2009

June has come and almost gone

I have been moping around all month, lamenting the heat and humidity and not really doing much at all. I have managed to get plans rolling to visit my parents from late July for three weeks with the younger three children. J has too many things going on at school to get away so she'll be in charge of the cat and S is terrified of flying and being surrounded by friendly strangers so he'll be in charge of himself.

I had to make a few trips to the Japanese passport office to get the documents right before they'd accept our applications for the kids' passports (L's signature was outside of the lines but they wouldn't let me sign and add "by mother" as they determined that he's old enough to sign for himself so I had to fill out a new application, take it home, have him sign it again...) I think I have everything right now, per their instructions, and will turn in the applications tomorrow morning. My British friend was kind enough to drive me there last week and also swing by the immigration office so I could transfer my residence permit into my not so new passport and purchase a multiple use re-entry permit valid for three years. She has offered to give me a ride tomorrow too. I'm very glad as her car is airconditioned and she is entertaining. Much nicer than the train. We were able to meet two North American friends for an inexpensive Indian buffet lunch to boot.

4 comments:

M said...

I always hated June in Japan. No matter what else I had going on/was looking forward to, June would inevitable send me into a manically depressed funk that would be hard to get out of. I bet you are looking forward to your trip home. We are having a bit of a "heatwave" here in London so I am not looking forward to the next couple of weeks as london just isn't equipped for hot weather! At least it is better than rain though.. maybe! ;-)

Unknown said...

Looking forward to your visit.

J & L in Ithaca

ElaineM said...

Kathy,
So good to read your blog again.
The pictures are very nice and you look great. I am so happy you and the younger children are going to get to visit your family in New York beginning in late July. Have a wonderful, happy and restful trip. You certainly have earned it !!!!! Enjoy !!!!!!!
It has been hot and humid here too. Not my favorite season either !! Take care.
ElaineM

ElaineM said...

Kathy,
So good to read your blog again.
The pictures are very nice and you look great. I am so happy you and the younger children are going to get to visit your family in New York beginning in late July. Have a wonderful, happy and restful trip. You certainly have earned it !!!!! Enjoy !!!!!!!
It has been hot and humid here too. Not my favorite season either !! Take care.
ElaineM